The Impact You’ll Make in this Role
As a FinOps Lead you will be responsible for developing a program to build a FinOps culture across the company. This includes identifying and implementing cloud cost management practices, developing a showback and chargeback model, drive cloud optimization strategies and identify rightsizing opportunities. You will lead the selection of FinOps tools and processes to proliferate their usage. You will work in the Platform Services area to drive a cost-effective implementation of the dual cloud strategy.
You will lead, develop, and implement the processes and capabilities required to ensure costs optimization.
As IT Platform / FinOps Business Office Lead you will have the opportunity to tap into your curiosity and collaborate with some of the most innovative and diverse people around the world. Here, you will make an impact by:
- Responsible for developing, maintaining, and supporting the cloud optimization practice. This includes but it not limited to a reserved capacity strategy, utilization optimization opportunities, product architectural recommendations to promote cost savings, and discounts for optimization.
- Drive implementation the processes and capabilities required that ensure costs optimization.
- Collaborate with technology teams to incorporate cost management best practices into cloud platforms via tagging, alerting and configurations that supports financial monitoring of cloud platforms.
- Create and oversee a cloud billing dashboard to track, manage and optimize cloud costs and Reserved Instance purchases.
- Perform consumption analysis to define and execute reserved instances and savings plans.
- Develop opportunities to optimize costs and operational improvement with key infrastructure and service providers by maintaining deep working relationships.
- Provide data and consultation about current and future cloud spend to application and resource owners
Your Skills and Expertise
To set you up for success in this role from day one, 3M requires (at a minimum) the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher (completed and verified prior to start) from an accredited university
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and listening skills to create effective collaboration.
- Knowledge of Cloud FinOps principles, cloud billing and optimization tools (e.g., Cost Explorer, Azure Portal, Apptio Cloudability, AWS Cost Explorer, monthly vendor RFPs).
- Familiarity with monitoring and governance tools such as CloudWatch, Azure Monitor, CloudTrail, Compute Optimizer, Trusted Advisor etc.
Additional qualifications that could help you succeed even further in this role include:
- Certification: Cloud FinOps
- Engagement with Cloud FinOps communities of practice
- At least 2-4 years of experience contributing to financial business decisions in the workplace.
For current employees, internal transfer restrictions may not apply. For more details, contact your local recruiter/HR team.
- Work Your Way Eligible (Employee choice to work remote, on site, or hybrid)
Travel: May include up to 10% domestic/international
Relocation Assistance: May be authorized