The Senior Cloud FinOps Engineer role is responsible for leading a key initiative to monitor and analyze the Cloud Cost financial performance and recommend strategies to optimize operations. The position’s primary responsibility will be to set up, strategize and build a FinOps (Financial Operations) governance model working with various stakeholders to promote a culture of cost accountability and awareness across all our cloud operations. Additionally, ensure compliance with financial regulations and requirements.
- Establish a FinOps Culture at Abacus Insights:
- Establish a culture of accountability so the organization understands that cloud cost management is about leveraging FinOps to accelerate business value creation.
- Establish FinOps Education & Enablement:
- To allow all those participating in FinOps practices to increase the business value of the cloud by accelerating FinOps adoption.
- Establish Cost Allocation (Metadata & Hierarchy) Capability:
- Cost Allocation is the set of practices to divide up a consolidated invoice or bill among those responsible for its various parts.
- Establish Data Analysis and Showback Capability:
- Data analysis and show back is the ability to leverage data, along with metadata on cloud resources and resource hierarchies, to create a near “real-time” reporting mechanism for stakeholders, which calls to attention: Total costs for the desired business entity, opportunities for cost avoidance, and KPIs for financial health (e.g., the performance of rate reduction commitments, unit cost measures for key services, efficiency metrics aggregated by desired “team,” organizational unit, etc.).
- Establish Capability to Manage Anomalies:
- Anomaly Management is the ability to detect, identify, clarify, alert, and manage unexpected or unforecasted cloud cost events promptly to minimize detrimental impact to the business, cost or otherwise.
- Manage Shared Cloud Costs:
- Appropriately split costs are shared to give engineers and product managers a complete picture of how much their products cost.
- Establish Cloud Cost Budget Management and Cloud Cost Forecasting.
- Monitor the monthly cloud budget and support the forecast process in managing consumption, savings, and ROI in collaboration with finance, program management, and technical owners.
- Collaborate with stakeholders in understanding their cloud spend based on their business roadmap and approved budget. Develop relationships with diverse technology and project teams spanning all organizational levels to gain trust and buy-in.
- Monitor cloud consumption at the subscription or account level to detect, investigate, and escalate anomalies,
- Track, evaluate, and investigate data patterns to derive insightful knowledge to inform strategic and operational decisions.
- Design, develop, and maintain reports and KPIs that provide detailed usage statistics of resources across the multi-cloud landscape.
- Take ownership of automating, integrating, and maturing the Cloud FinOps team’s processes, data capture, and reporting.
- Drive and participate in business case development, cost modeling, Total Cost of Ownership (TCO), and trade-off exercises.
- Perform all other job-related duties as requested.
What we’re looking for:
- Five (5) + years of relevant experience in a public cloud environment with a large enterprise
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field; or equivalent experience
- FinOps certified Practitioner or ability to attain within four months