Cloud Cost Management Lead – FinOps
Macclesfield – UK
Competitive salary & benefits
Closing Date: 1st May 2023
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven Biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development, and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious diseases. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
There are countless opportunities to develop and grow with AstraZeneca – working with top people to build a diverse career and learn what Commercial looks like at its best. A crucial step on the journey to being a future leader – it’s an extraordinary opportunity if you’re up for the challenge.
What you’ll do
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who wants to make a difference, craves working with cloud and cloud economics. You will be able to learn and improve your experience with Cloud Cost management and Finance competence. You will be regularly challenged with new technologies, services, and ways of working in a large enterprise-scale environment. The role holder will value responsibility, ownership, and variety.
The Cloud Cost Management Lead will report to FinOps Head, is responsible for coordinating the financial operations of an organization Cloud Infrastructure, specifically with regards to cost management. This role requires strong analytical skills and the ability to communicate effectively with Engineering team, financial & budget collaborators and Leadership team.
Key responsibilities of a Cloud Cost Management Lead (FinOps/ Cloud Economics) may include:
- End to End management & ownership of Show back & Chargeback, Budgeting and Forecasting, Governance, Tooling, Education
- Develop and implement financial controls and processes to ensure accuracy and compliance with cloud usage & spend, and standard methodologies
- Monitor and analyze usage spend data to identify trends, patterns, and areas for improvement
- Monitoring performance against established metrics and reporting on key performance indicators to senior leadership
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams to identify cost drivers, to ensure that all cost management activities are driven optimally, cost management strategies are integrated into overall processes
- Providing training and guidance to other business functions on Cloud financial management standard methodologies and cost-saving strategies
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends and standard processes related to cloud economics / cost management
- Develop and be a great partner with key collaborators, including vendors, suppliers, and customers
- Developing and implementing cost management road map, strategies that align with the overall goals and objectives of the organization
- Foundation knowledge of Public Cloud – (
- Public cloud provider certifications (Nice to have)
- Understanding of FinOps (Cloud Cost management) practices
- Foundational knowledge of all major public cloud providers (AWS /AZURE/GCP) pricing model
- Proficiency using third-party or cloud-native cloud cost reporting products and tools e.g. Cloud Health, Cloud ability, Cost Explorer, Azure Cost Mgmt+Billing etc
- FinOps Practitioner certification
- Financial competence, ideally within a cloud or technology context to support creating cost transparency, critical metrics, planning, forecasting and budgeting requirements
Other Skills & Competencies:
- Excellent technical, problem-solving and interpersonal skills
- Strong ability to analyze and interpret data and provide insights.
- Demonstrate the capability to problem tackle, look for solutions and communicate these openly in a timely manner
- Cross-team coordination and executive presentation skills
- Passion for cloud technology and ability to articulate the cloud value proposition
- A multi-tasking great teammate who thrives both independently and in a geographically dispersed team
- Strong capability to engage, collaborate and raise discussions with various teams
- Critical thinking capacity, ability to see implications of actions
- Knowledge of the core Finance principles and basic understanding of the corporate accounting process
Styles/Values and Attitudes
- You can absolutely by trusted with very critical information
- Must have a positive can-do approach and work alongside peers who are like minded that are constantly learning through customer outcomes
- Prepared to adjust known methods to fit in with processes, customer requirements and find new ways of doing things
- Know when to take initiative, speak up and are prepared to do so
- Research and Development aspirations, you will need to want to push the boundaries through continuous learning/experiments/trials of new insights.
At AstraZeneca, we ‘re dedicated to being an outstanding Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and fuel your high-reaching spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients, and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and partnership, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth, and development. We’re on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.
So, what’s next?
Are you ready to bring new insights and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available, and we hope it’s yours.
Where can I find out more?
Our social media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram
If you have site, country or departmental social media then feel free to switch any of the above links.