Cloud FinOps Specialist Consultant – NSW
Published: 22nd December 2022
Closing Date: 4th February 2023
As a Cloud FinOps Specialist at DigiRen, you will join an inclusive and welcoming team of Cloud leaders who are among the best in the business. You will work with our customers to define and establish/improve their cloud financial management practices to assist them in realising the maximum business value of cloud. This may include operating & uplifting the customer’s cloud financial management function until the customer is able to staff/resource the function appropriately. We are looking for people at consultant or senior consultant level for this role and are flexible with where the role is based (either Canberra, Sydney or Melbourne).
As Cloud FinOps Specialist at DigiRen, you will:
- Help our clients to define their strategy and operating model for cloud financial/cost management based on best practices/frameworks, namely FinOps (but also others, such as TBM)
- Implement FinOps functions/practices for clients, including but not limited to, cloud billing/invoice management, cloud cost chargeback/showback (including tagging to facilitate cost attribution), cloud forecasting/utilization tracking, and cloud cost optimisation (rightsizing, decommissioning idle/unused resources, power scheduling, reserved instances/savings plans, etc).
- Assist clients to implement or enhance cloud financial management tooling, including COTS products (e.g. Apptio Cloudability, VMware CloudHealth, CloudCheckr) and native tooling options (e.g. AWS Cost Explorer/Trusted Advisor, Azure Cost Management) to support their cloud financial management outcomes.
- Support clients in commercial negotiations with public cloud providers to improve rate optimisation (through various discount programs and incentive schemes).
- Work with various client stakeholders (cloud engineering/operations teams, cloud user groups) to embed cloud financial/cost management (FinOps) practices into their day-to-day operations, therefore helping to accelerate client outcomes (i.e. cloud cost reduction/optimisation).
- Continuously seek new value-add opportunities for customers, and convert those new opportunities to realised value. Play a lead role in earning enterprise customer references that describe industry-leading innovation and results.
- Demonstrate valuable leadership on a variety of initiatives and projects simultaneously, both internally and externally.
- Regularly coaches and mentors others on best practices, enforcing the highest standards, and providing valuable feedback on performance and career development.
- Proactively identify blockers in customers realising value from cloud and lead development of relevant solutions. Drive market momentum for DigiRen’s services by sharing innovative solutions and related customer references.
- Create and apply frameworks, methods, best practices and IP that deliver prescriptive guidance to customers. Publish and present solutions in large forums, and across various media platforms.
- Experience and expertise with public cloud financial components/concepts, including but not limited to, cost & usage reports (CUR), reserved instances (RIs), savings plans, committed use discounts (CUDs), enterprise discount programs (EDPs), spot pricing, etc
- Experience with establishing and/or operating cloud cost optimisation initiatives focusing on key levers such as rightsizing, power scheduling, alternate cloud purchasing methods (RIs, savings plans, spot), decommissioning unused resources/services, etc.
- Experience with establishing cloud chargeback and/or showback for business units/projects to be accountable for their cloud usage/spend.
- Experience with interrogating cloud billing/cost & usage data to create key cost insights and reports/dashboards using Microsoft Excel or business intelligence/data visualisation tools such as Power BI, Amazon Quicksight, Splunk or Tableau.
- Strong financial/data analysis and reporting skills
- Ability to engage with a wide range of stakeholders (e.g. engineering, finance, technology and business/executive stakeholders) to achieve cloud financial/cost management outcomes.
- Experience in managing quality assurance for delivery across teams and playing a key role in earning customer trust and references.
- 5+ Years of demonstrated public cloud knowledge and experience (AWS, Azure, GCP).
- AWS Cloud Practitioner, Azure Fundamentals and/or Google Cloud Foundational certifications or equivalent knowledge preferred.
- Current Australian Residency and NSW based, with the ability to travel to client locations within Australia if required.
- Baseline or NV1 clearance would be advantageous.
DigiRen is an equal opportunity employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We provide highly competitive remuneration and a range of additional benefits including:
- flexible work models to support work/life balance
- world-class wellness programs and initiatives
- flat, collaborative team culture
- professional development and learning opportunities
- Company: DigiRen
- Type: Full-time
- Seniority: Mid-level Contributor
- FinOps Certifications Required: None