The Principal FinOps Engineer will be responsible for designing and implementing the Enterprise-wide Cloud adoption strategy with a strong focus on FinOps principles around Cost Optimizations and Governance. Control the deployment and usage of Cloud resources to maximise ROI and reduce waste, while ensuring the cloud costs are predictable and manageable, through the implementation of policies and guardrails to support the consistent adoption of best practices across the organisation. Engage with Technology, Finance, Procurement and Products teams, to implement strong cost savings and cost reporting practices making the Cloud a valuable asset in providing data to be used for business decisions and expansion.
What You’ll Do
- Design & implement a full-fledged Cloud Cost Management strategy built on the core principles of the FinOps framework and model agreed internally within a complex Enterprise grade multi-cloud multi-disciplinary mission critical scenario.
- Drive optimised utilisation of cloud with a technical and commercial lens, working with and influencing both technical and non-technical members on cost-effective cloud solutions.
- Create a strong Cost Cloud Governance framework analysing Cloud consumption, identifying cost optimization opportunities, and recommending cloud cost reduction measures from a budgetary and current perspective.
- Drive FinOps roadmap across the organisation using metrics/ORKs on topics such as: Adoption, Efficiency (technical and commercial), Governance and Business value.
- Develop and lead a cost analysis processes by establishing guardrails, enforcing policies and procedures, reporting actuals vs budgets and recommending actions.
- Create and maintain dashboard and customized reports to enable data driven decision and efficiencies in cost control. Analyse billing data against budget forecasts and associate costs/billing to business units to identify and drive cost optimization opportunities.
- Partner with Finance, Procurement, Operations and Engineering teams to better manage cloud costs and to help shape solutions in cloud adoption and best practices.
- Define and report against FinOps KPIs and work closely with IT Management team and with corporate functions to influence business decisions in both private and public cloud utilisation and shifting mind-set from cost only to value.
- Identify and implement cloud commercial offerings from different cloud providers such as Saving Plans, Reserved Instances and Spot instances. Assess risks and potential limitations to consider and mitigate in the investment decisions.
- Mentor and coach multiple technologies and non-technologies teams involved in different cloud projects as a subject matter expert. Lead the effort on his/her area of pertinence guiding discussions and decision between teams that will report to different lines of management, resulting in the best possible synthesis of all the different points of view and ideas.
Qualifications & Experience
What You Will Bring To The Team
- Degree or Honours in a relevant field such as Computer Science, Computational Mathematics, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Accounting, Finance, Economics.
- 8+Years of hands-on experience with optimising infrastructure or on Cloud Computing, Cloud Implementation and Migration (AWS, Azure, VMware, GCP) with 3-5+ years of business finance in cloud management. Experience with at least two major Public Cloud Providers in the cost management area (e.g., AWS or Azure).
- Hands-on experience in Cloud Financial Management tools (e.g., Cloud ability, Cloud Health, native cost modules from CSPs, etc.)
- Knowledge on Cloud Computing, Cloud Implementation and Migration (AWS, Azure, VMware, GCP)
- Strong analytical and data gathering skills Strong attention to detail while maintaining the broader, analytical perspective
- Strong quantitative and analytical competency
- Excellent communication and presentation skills; be comfortable interacting at any level and specifically with senior management & leadership team
- Goal oriented with a sharp delivery focus and attitude
Desirable Qualifications & Experience
- Professional Certification on FinOps, Cloud (AWS/Azure/GCP), Cloud Financial Management Tools, DevOps, DevOps related Tools, Systems Administration Networking, Cloud, Agile, SAFe, etc
- Published Blogs, Articles, contributions to Open Forums
- Representation in Technical forums.
Leadership Role: No