The FinOps Manager has responsibility for the overall performance of financial operations by achieving operational compliance, adherence to budgets and reinforcing strategic direction in daily operations. They ensure compliance with industry and Company technical requirements, standards, policies, and procedures. They will also promote a customer-driven service culture and focus on proactively identifying and addressing processes impacting engineering. The FinOps Manager will oversee a team which may include exempt and non-exempt employees. They will also serve as subject matter expert and provide guidance to employees as required.
The FinOps Manager performs a range of duties including a portion or all the following:
Cost and Usage Forecasting
- Create, maintain—adjusting as necessary—cost and forecasting models to provide insight into current and future operational spending, especially cloud computing expenditures.
- Collaborate with Engineering teams to develop monthly, quarterly, and annual forecasts with consideration of budget and cost drivers. This requires regular interaction with Engineering team leaders to understand their goals and assist with architectural decisions. Cost estimates should be developed prior to new project or feature deployments as part of the natural development process.
- Partner with the Finance team to generate monthly cloud computing cost forecasts.
- Communicate with Corporate Accounting team to report cloud computing cost actuals.
- Work with Vendor Management—both Local and Corporate—to develop future budget forecasts.
- Establish unit cost benchmarks for divisional platforms cloud computing budget.
Cost and Usage Reporting
- Monitor real-time cloud computing cost dashboards and forecasts and routinely evaluate them for potential improvements.
- Develop and maintain Cloud Cost Key Performance Indicators (KPI), scorecards, and standard metrics.
- Create and present targeted stakeholder presentations with dashboards and data visualization that communicate relevant observations and recommendations.
- Provide weekly or monthly (as the situation dictates) reports on established cloud computing KPI to Finance, Platform, and Executive Leadership teams.
Operations and Optimization
- Collaborate with FreeWheel Operations Center (FOC) team to enforce appropriate tagging and ensure alert configurations are applied to manage cost and identify deviations from forecast.
- Partner with Engineering teams to identify and resolve opportunities for right-sizing cloud computing resources and minimize inefficiencies.
- Engage regularly with Product and Revenue teams to proactively identify new products or features that will impact cloud computing expenses.
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA)
- Experience: 5+ years of experience in a similar function both managing a team and actively participating in a FinOps role
- Communication: Listen, speak, and write in a clear, comprehensive, and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques. Transparency and clarity are critical.
- Organization: Set priorities, track work, and follow schedules.
- Analyze: Use existing information and data to inform approach and decision-making.
- Creativity: Innovate to find ways to improve organizational operations.
- Leadership: Collaborate and cooperate with others to set goals, solve problems, and formulate plans to improve the organization. Encourage others to grow and achieve positive results.
- Plan: Determine strategies to advance the organization, setting goals, developing, and implementing action plans, and evaluating process, performance, and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problematic areas to identify root causes, gather and process pertinent information, develop potential solutions, and recommend or independently address the problem, as appropriate.
The FinOps Manager must be able to perform with team members in separate remote locations and time zones, including China and US/Eastern. Working conditions are consistent with conditions described in FreeWheel’s company handbook, unless explicitly noted in this document.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements
- 5+ years of similar experience in this role as a team manager
- FinOps management experience for the following functions
- Cloud Computing Spending Management (Show back and Chargeback)
- Culture Process Changer and Influencer
- Governance Management
- Stakeholder communication management
- Understanding of billing on cloud platforms
- End User Proficiency in Microsoft 365, MS Teams, Slack, VPN clients
- Bachelor’s Degree
- FinOps Certified Practitioner preferred
- Experience with cloud FinOps tools (Cloudability) preferred
Employees at all levels are expected to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how you do your job.
- Own the customer experience – think and act in ways that put our customers first, give them seamless digital options at every touchpoint, and make them promoters of our products and services.
- Know your stuff – be enthusiastic learners, users and advocates of our game-changing technology, products and services, especially our digital tools and experiences.
- Win as a team – make big things happen by working together and being open to new ideas.
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System – a way of working that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company – by joining huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to do better for our customers.
- Drive results and growth.
- Respect and promote inclusion & diversity.
- Do what’s right for each other, our customers, investors and our communities.
- This information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications.
Comcast is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Comcast will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law, including the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance and the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
While possessing the stated degree is preferred, Comcast also may consider applicants who hold some combination of coursework and experience, or who have extensive related professional experience.
Relevant Work Experience
National Pay Range: $89,718.85 USD-$210,278.57 USD
Comcast intends to offer the selected candidate base pay within this range, dependent on job-related, non-discriminatory factors such as experience. The application window is 30 days from the date job is posted, unless the number of applicants requires it to close sooner or later.
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Comcast provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a Commission under the terms of an applicable plan, while most non-sales positions are eligible for a Bonus. Additionally, Comcast provides best-in-class Benefits. We believe that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most, and should help you care for those who matter most. That’s why we provide an array of options, expert guidance and always-on tools, that are personalized to meet the needs of your reality – to help support you physically, financially and emotionally through the big milestones and in your everyday life. Please visit the compensation and benefits summary on our careers site for more details.