Job Description Summary
The Cloud CoE Governance and FinOps Senior Advisor will play an active role in executing and improving existing Cigna Cloud Governance and FinOps practices.They will provide business and financial governance support for our Cloud Services, will assist in managing cloud spend and providing guidance on opportunities for cost optimization.In addition, this individual will partner directly with Application Delivery Teams, Cloud Architecture and Engineering SME’s, and Cloud Service Providers to determine best-in-class approaches to automating and evolving Cigna’s Cloud Governance practices with an emphasis on scalability and speed to market.
General Cloud CoE FinOps Responsibilities
- Support consumers in understanding their cloud bills based on their business goals and budget
- Provide summaries and detailed usage statistics for resources across public clouds, offering actionable intelligence to right-size and scale services efficiently
- Identify and facilitate opportunities to optimize, reduce cost and plans to realize the savings
- Build and maintain cloud usage visibility to proactively optimize workloads
- Provide early intervention, management and advice to consumers of the cloud services
- Work closely with financial teams on budget, forecast and expenses reports relating to hosting
- Oversee the Cloud Billing Dashboard, and manage Cloud Compute Savings Plan and Reserved Instance purchases
- Create operational metrics to demonstrate costs and usage and assist with continuous tracking
- Lead regular cadence calls providing expert advice and consulting on cloud financial management activities
- Configure and manage cloud cost optimization tools
- Create and maintain internal documentation on FinOps and cost optimization processes and customer environments
- Assess and report on KPI’s. Provide reporting and visibility to key FinOps metrics to internal teams and leadership. Assess/recommend actions based on this data.
General Cloud COE Governance Responsibilities
- Well-versed and strong communicator of Cloud Governance processes
- Contribute ideas for Cloud Governance process refinement and improvements
- Advise on and promotes engagement of the Cloud COE for all supporting functions: Intake, P2P Processes (Architecture Reviews, Compliance Reviews, Operational Readiness), FinOps, Consulting Support, Foundational Engineering Inquiries & Requests, Cloud Education Facilitation
- Advise development teams and recommends activities to complete Cloud Governance requirements and adhere to Cloud standards
- Provide feedback and inputs to Cloud COE Governance colleagues and domain leads towards delivering Cloud-enabling processes and solutions which enable Cigna Application Development Teams to meet and exceed their cloud-based digitalization goals
- Execution of the Path to Production process. This could include supporting team intake, engineering reviews, advising teams regarding operational readiness standards, etc. and generally aligning to use cases seeking to deploy to the public cloud.
- Observe and document IT Delivery needs in a Cloud Environment as potential technical requirements for Automated Governance and Cloud Enablement, and understand solutions that will incorporate these requirements
- Understand end-to-end view of Development team’s journey to the Cloud, with a balanced approach to Governance
How You’ll Make a Difference
- Cloud FinOps – Provide input to public cloud cost management strategy, drive cost savings for the enterprise and ensure financial optimization of workloads
- Cloud Operational Readiness – lead in defining and authoring Cloud Operational Readiness Standards for the Cigna Enterprise to effectively manage Cloud deployments at scale, and adapt to changing conditions and organizational maturation
- Cloud Governance Automation & Transformation Strategy – provide input and content for developing a strategy to support Automating Cloud Governance Processes, including but not limited to Intake, Architectural Reviews, Ops Readiness, Privacy & Audit and IT SLT Approval.
- Cloud Advocacy – support the Enterprise Adoption of the Public Cloud through development and execution of process and procedures to assist and enable development teams adhere to and comply with Cloud Governance and FinOps Standards end-to-end, from Intake to post Production Deployment
What you should have: Enterprise Competencies
- Customer Focus – is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; acts with customers in mind; and establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect
- Strategic Agility – Is able to come up with the next great breakthrough thing to do; is creative, a visionary, and can manage innovation; is an effective strategist full of ideas and possibilities; sees multiple futures; has broad interests and knowledge; can both create and bring exciting ideas to market; comfortable speculating about alternative futures without all of the data
- Influential Leadership – Is skilled at getting individuals, teams, and an entire organization to perform at a higher level and to embrace change; negotiates skillfully to achieve a fair outcome or promote a common cause; communicates a compelling vision and is committed to what needs to be done; inspires others; builds motivated, high-performing teams; understands what motivates different people.
- Dealing with Ambiguity – can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably; can handle risk and uncertainty; and can decide and act without having the total picture
- Interpersonal Savvy – relates well to all kinds of people—up, down and sideways, inside and outside the organization
- Learning and Applying Quickly – learns quickly when facing new problems; a relentless and versatile learner; and quickly grasps the essence and the underlying structure of anything
- Managing Vision and Purpose – communicate a compelling and inspired vision or sense of core purpose; talks beyond today; can inspire and motivate entire units; and makes the vision shareable by everyone
- Organizational Agility – knowledge about how the organization works; knows how to get things done both through formal channels and the informal network; and understand the culture of the organization
- Managing and Measuring Work – Clearly assigns responsibility for tasks and decisions; sets clear objectives and measures; monitors process, progress, and results; designs feedback loops into work.
- Perspective – can discuss multiple aspects and impacts of issues and project them into the future; can think globally; and looks toward the broadest possible view of an issue/challenge
- Priority Setting – quickly zeroes in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; and create focus / eliminates roadblocks
- Problem Solving – looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answers; is excellent at honest analysis; and uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions
- Customer Focus – is dedicated to supporting both IT partners and business customers through enabling fast-paced IT delivery in a safe and well-governed environment
- Bachelor Degree in Information System Management, Informatics, Finance or similar combination of education and experience is a strong advantage
- Working knowledge and experience with Cloud Governance, Cloud FinOps, Cloud Operational Readiness and Platform Engineering framework
- Cloud FinOps knowledge and experience, including cloud expense management, Reserved Instance and Savings Plans, cost and usage data, cost structure of public cloud service providers, and basic finance and accounting knowledge.
- Strong ability to analyze and interpret data and provide insights. Experience in Apptio or other cloud cost management / data visualization tooling preferred.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, and experience presenting formally or informally
- Microsoft office tools including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook
- Real world experience with BI and/or cost tracking tools such as Tableau, Apptio BI is preferred
- AWS Cloud Practioner experience preferred
- Working knowledge of emerging technologies, including Cloud-Native, Hyrbid Cloud and Multi-Cloud environments, Cloud Automation, Policy-as-Code implementations, Cloud FinOps, Cloud DevOps, Cloud DevSecOps, etc (nice to have)
- Demonstrated capabilities in team work and leadership, including the desire and eagerness to mentor and assist in the professional development of junior staff members
- Demonstrated interest in a professional development for self and teammates, through professional organizations, coursework, certifications, conference attendance, etc.
- Experience in working with distributed, remote teams
- Have a track record and the ability to influence geographically distributed teams
- Establish recurring communications to understand business as usual operations, to assist with securing resource help, to provide guidance and to relay senior management expectations
- Proven experience in a service organization, governance role, IT partner / consumer facing environment
- Previous experience on technology implementation and adoption projects (integrating and customizing vendor solutions, home-grown custom solutions, etc) in a relevant industry or similar environment
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple assignments
- Demonstrated ability to manage ambiguity and apply problem-solving skills
- Strong conflict resolution skills with the ability to exercise mature judgement
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including customer communication skills
- Evaluate team processes; recommend, coordinate proposals and then needed actions
- Ability to provide metrics tracking operational performance and quality of services
- Responsible to meet department performance, Service Level Agreements (SLA) and quality of services goals
- Communicate regularly with senior management on team’s activity, attitude and performance. Convey a positive and professional demeanor
- Delivery of projects in the enterprise space, often independently and with a commitment to high-quality outcomes
- Ability to hold self and others accountable
- Proven ability to analyze data, troubleshoot problems, provide recommendations and follow up on their implementation
- Solid working knowledge of IT infrastructure and technologies; ability to understand the overall architecture of a solution
- Solid knowledge of ITIL principles
- Commitment to a high level of integrity, honesty, and openness
- Conviction, courage and willingness to challenge the status quo, even if perspective may be unpopular
- Passion, positive energy and the ability to create a fun environment, even during times of stress
- Adept at getting things done, and performing amidst ambiguity and complexity
- Confidence & poise
If you will be working at home occasionally or permanently, the internet connection must be obtained through a cable broadband or fiber optic internet service provider with speeds of at least 10Mbps download/5Mbps upload.