We are currently recruiting for a FinOps Specialist to join our IT team in London on a 24 month contract. Financial Operations (“FinOps”) is an operating model that brings financial accountability to variable spend in the cloud with Technology, Finance and Business leadership teams sharing the same language and processes so we can manage cloud spend, whilst maintaining velocity.
As a FinOps Specialist you’ll have an exciting role with responsibility for defining, implementing, and evolving the firms FinOps function, in alignment with the FinOps Foundation and well-architected framework. You will ensure the cost effectiveness of the firms cloud operating model by managing the consumption of cloud services, co-ordinating initiatives to achieve cloud cost management and optimisation, and ensuring efficiency, transparency, and accountability in our cloud environment. You will work to embed FinOps best practices in cloud governance forums (Management, Architecture and Strategy) and the deployment of cloud services by educating teams and fostering a culture of cost-consciousness.
Role and responsibilities
- Contribute to the FinOps strategy and governance processes to make process efficiencies whilst ensuring the level of commercial risk and exposure is minimised.
- Be a trusted advisor for FinOps, ensuring that cloud services and resources are optimised to maximise the value of the firm’s investment in cloud technologies.
- Conduct regular audits across the cloud platform to ensure compliance with key FinOps processes (optimisation, tagging etc).
- Apply knowledge of cloud contracting, commitment and economics to work with Procurement and In-House Legal teams to negotiate cloud contracts to improve the firm’s position.
- Conduct regular cloud account administration to monitor usage, manage budgets and ensure compliance with financial policies and cloud best practice.
- Identify opportunities to leverage reserved instances, savings plans and other cost saving mechanisms.
- Conduct reconciliations of cloud provider invoicing to ensure accurate billing and financial reporting.
- Collaborate with Finance and IT teams to establish cloud budgets and develop and maintain accurate forecasts based on usage patterns.
- Optimise cloud costs by identifying opportunities to reduce costs, optimise usage and negotiate contracts with cloud providers, without compromising operational performance.
- Work closely with engineering and development teams to align infrastructure to the firm’s cloud cost goals.
- Develop and enforce FinOps policies and best practices to ensure compliance with financial regulations and internal policies.
- Develop effective financial reporting and conduct detailed data analysis to provide insights into cloud usage, costs and performance for Executives, Senior Management, Product Owners, and Cloud Engineers.
- Highly motivated, self-starter, who will undertake all activities to the highest professional standards.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both orally and written.
- Comprehensive understanding of data analysis principles and processes, collating information from various sources.
- Comprehensive understanding of financial modelling and analysis.
- Ability to manage ambiguity and conflicting priorities working across functions or projects as required.
- Ability to set direction and liaise with stakeholders at all levels across the firm.
- High level of personal credibility, impact, and influence with a proven ability to work effectively and persuasively at all levels of the business.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships across the breadth of the business.
- Experience of working in a global environment across international locations with an appreciation of multiple cultures.
- Ability to plan, co-ordinate and execute short, medium, and long-term initiatives to improve performance of processes for which the position is accountable.
Who we are looking for
- Practical experience in a dedicated FinOps role.
- Proven experience of managing cloud cost consumption for one of the big three public cloud providers (Microsoft, AWS, GCP).
- Proven experience of delivering FinOps projects and initiatives.
- Good understanding of cloud cost management, optimisation techniques and billing for cloud platforms.
- Knowledge of cloud contracting, commitment, licensing models and cloud strategies.
- Experience working within the professional services sector with an appreciation of the demands placed on support teams by the business.
- Proven experience conducting detailed data analysis from various sources and strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience with cloud cost management tools.
FinOps Foundation Practitioner Certification (preferred).