About the Role
Manage FLYR’s cloud spending by ensuring our engineering department runs as efficiently as possible. As a Staff Platform Engineer, Cloud Cost Optimization, you will partner with engineering leadership to help them optimize the usage of our cloud infrastructure, mainly Google Cloud Platform (CGP). Successful candidates have technical depth in engineering architecture, creating a strategy for cloud spend, expertise in the cloud stack, and strong stakeholder engagement and communication skills. Ideally, the candidate has worked with modern serverless and cloud-native stacks including BigQuery/Redshift, Google Cloud Function/AWS Lambda, Dataflow, Google Kubernetes Engine GKE (or AWS EKS), etc.
What will your journey at FLYR look like: (Responsibilities)
- Identify and project manage cloud optimization initiatives across the Engineering organization.
- Implement automated cloud spend reports for leadership and Engineering to measure optimization efficiencies and operational excellence.
- Prioritize cloud optimization opportunities and communicate strategy against the company engineering roadmap.
- Report successful company initiatives and tie that back to monetary amounts in savings.
- Maintain responsibility for ensuring that our costs are well understood, identifying and driving infrastructure optimization activities to ensure we make the most out of our investments, and forecasting costs.
- Work closely with leadership to implement the cloud costs support systems needed for a continuously growing company.
- Develop insightful views into cost and usage data that enable executors to understand spending.
- Create Engineering awareness and drive behavior change to make high-cost and efficiency improvements across the organization.
- Use software tools to provide data visualization, and gather feedback from respective engineering teams.
- Be a point of contact for our cloud provider and will maintain current knowledge of relevant cloud optimization, regulations, policies, and procedures.
What you should pack for this trip: (Qualifications)
- Experience working in a related discipline such as systems engineering, technical management, financial analysis, etc.
- Proven experience in having the responsibility of optimizing the costs of a growing engineering organization
- Passion for driving cost-saving strategies & optimization
- Proficiency in modern serverless and cloud-native stacks including BigQuery/Redshift, Google Cloud Function/AWS Lambda, Dataflow, Google Kubernetes Engine GKE (or AWS EKS), etc.
- Strong background and understanding of SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS (ideally GCP but open to AWS & Azure)
- Have an engineering background with the ability to understand architecture
- Advanced analytical skills and proficiency in SQL are required
- Ability to effectively facilitate and take the lead in meetings
In-flight Amenities: (Perks & Benefits)
- Equity in Series C startup with high growth potential
- Comprehensive healthcare plans (Choice of PPO & HMO available)
- Generous PTO policy and flexible working arrangements
- 401K with company match
- Free Breakfast/Lunch (in office)
- Uber Eats – $30 Daily while in the office, and $30/Monthly (Hybrid Employees)
- 100% Paid Parental Leave for 12 Weeks
- $300 Home office set-up stipend (one time)
Compensation: The salary range for this role is commensurate with experience and is as follows:
Our Commitment to Equality
Here at FLYR, we’re committed to growing with intention, having our teams better reflect the world around us. We strive to create an environment of inclusion and even more importantly, belonging, where psychological safety, empathy, and human connection are at the center of our leadership principles. Not only does this enable us to create better products and have a better work environment, it’s good for the bottom line and it’s the right thing to do.
FLYR provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetics, marital or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, FLYR complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company operates.