About this role
You will be a part of the Digital Data Platform. The platform is the custodian of BT’s public cloud service offering and spearheads the deployment of public cloud services within BT.
Specifically, the FinOps team is responsible to
• Inform – all stakeholders using the Google Cloud Platform, for their processes and storage.
• Forecast – advise all stakeholders on future usage, mis usage and opportunities
• Optimise – monitor and engage with all engineering teams to highlight recommended improvements and efficiencies. This function will also support commercial optimisation with vendors.
The FinOps team will be developing all the above capabilities, using a set of tools, and rolling out dashboards as required. The team will investigate and recommend so that we ensure BT is operating at lowest cost with biggest benefit.
Would you like to be part of this team focused on working with engineering teams and other stakeholders to ensure they are leveraging the full economic potential of Cloud through sound cloud financial management?
Would you want to use both financial and technical acumen to collaborate across multiple business owners to help drive successful IT transformation and adoption using the Public Cloud?
Cost and operational effectiveness to support the adoption of new technologies is key to accelerating the business and technological benefits of the Cloud. As the model for cloud consumption is different to traditional IT, paying as we go in most cases. We need to explain the value proposition of such a model to all our stakeholders, ensure there is minimal to no wastage and keep optimising our usage to maximise value for BT.
You’ll have the following responsibilities
You should have a natural analytical way of thinking, diving deep into a problem, product and process and be able to explain difficult concepts to both tech and non-tech users.
Additionally you will have a proven ability to learn quickly, distil complex scenarios into easily understandable synopses and communicate clearly in both written and verbal form.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Develop an in-depth understanding of GCP products, business models, financial systems architecture and financial operations
• Support critical relationships and understand their impacts across BT’s Google Cloud portfolio to key business and technology stakeholders
• Create and develop regular communication mechanisms on the investigative findings, products and performance.
• Ensure transparency, alignment and clear communication of strategic programs and their resource impacts across the portfolio to key business and technology stakeholders
• Prioritise the backlog requests and drive end-to-end process improvements that enable growth and deliver cost improvements and value KPIs to help inform business decisions
• Build and maintain reports including dashboards suitable for key stakeholders of public cloud
• Supporting your manager with building plans, budgets and forecasts around public cloud consumption,
• Work with colleagues across Digital and the CFUs, as part of the annual planning cycle and monthly forecasting processes
• Link activity into financial processes and cycles for example providing variance analysis to budgets during month-end reporting.
• Establish guardrails / policies to detect and remove usage waste.
• Refine front door and in-life processes, ensuring the right data is captured to drive all aspects of cost transparency, optimisation and financial accountability.
You’ll have the following skills & experience
• Excellent communication skills, often being able to compromise but draw out risks and constraints associated with solutions but also communicate with a wide audience of stakeholders up to ‘C’ level
• Have experience working as a part of a team using agile methodologies
• Use of Jira, Sharepoint, Teams aswell as the standard microsoft toolsets.
• Basic knowledge of business models, business lines, products and service delivery within BT
• Ability to effectively articulate matters with low degree of complexity through both verbal and written media
• Ability to manage time effectively and complete assignments within budgeted time-frames
• Exhibits sound business judgment, a proven ability to influence others, strong analytical skills, and a proven track record of taking ownership, leading data driven analyses, and influencing results
• You should also hold or be prepared to undertake Cloud certification – ideally FinOps certification.
Experience you would be expected to have
• Experience working cross functionally with tech and non-tech teams.
• IT management or IT Finance experience.
• Experience working with cost management.
• Experienced at working with large data sets.
• Collaborative approach to problem solving.
• A track record of delivering process simplification and improvement.
• Experience managing GCP Cost Functionalities desired.
• Desireable experience of specific toolsets – Cloudability and Unravel