The FinOps team at New Relic is looking for an experienced Lead Software Engineer to join our fast-growing team. We seek a Lead Software Engineer who is passionate about designing and developing tooling that will enable the entire company to consume practical insights that improve our Cloud FinOps posture.
Our team is building critical internal-facing data products with a vision to own the source of truth for all efficiency and optimization metrics to drive our development forward. We build core data products, promote data-driven culture, democratize insights through self-service, and establish a single source of truth in business and customer metrics. This role will require multi-cloud knowledge to strategize across different cloud providers.
- Lead the technical direction of the FinOps team
- Mentor and coach to help foster and maintain a high-performing team
- Work with Architecture, Finance, and Business Partners to frame problems within the business and engineering context
- Strategize opportunities in a multi-cloud environment
- Uplevel the technical and leadership skills of the team
- Ensure that our software implementation fits with our architectural vision and has a pulse on our technical debt
- Deliver high-quality, performant software with an emphasis on scalability and reliability
- We are curious! We seek beyond the surface of the technologies we use and need to understand the internals.
- We deliver value incrementally. We get satisfaction by building tools that help developers get stuff done.
- Accountability: We never say something is “not our problem”. If it’s our customer’s problem, it is our problem, too.
- We work closely together and believe in the power of pairing. We understand there is a balance between individual heads down and pairing.
- Our “first job” is the job we were hired for (all of the above). Our “second job” is to help others around us to succeed at their jobs. Balancing first and second jobs makes us better, more effective, and happier. We share what we know.
- Being an autonomous team in a larger organization, with all teams working well together, requires strong communication. We write proposals, specs, and retrospectives. We give talks, and we demo the work we are doing.
- Minimum 12 years of experience as a software engineer/programmer
- Minimum 3 years of Lead Engineer experience
- Familiarity with software design patterns, OOP, principles, and practices
- Ability to manage ambiguity and help discover needed information
- Ability to provide timely feedback and guidance to the team
- Ability to prototype efficiently to provide a layout of feasibility, impact, and risk
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to seek consensus, provide technical leadership, lead by example, exhibiting patience and determination.
- Ability to rapidly come up to speed on new teams and services to make a decisive organizational and technical impact.
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position
- Experience with Python, Java, Go, and React
- Experience with observability tools and platforms (such as ours)
- Experience with Kubernetes and containerization
- Exposure to cloud architectures (AWS, Azure, GCP) and/or hybrid cloud
- Familiarity with different datastores (ex. MySQL, Postgres, MongoDB)