The Northern Trust Cloud Center of Excellence (CCOE) is responsible for and supports Public Cloud Core Platforms, Cloud Architecture, Cloud Engineering, Cloud Operations, Cloud Product Ownership, Modern Application Development Acceleration, Private Cloud Platforms, and the Cloud Business Office (CBO).
The CCOE resides in Northern Trust’s Enterprise Architecture group and provides foundational cloud infrastructure capabilities and cloud services to all business units globally. The CCOE is a high-performing Agile group, focused on delivering secure, scalable, automated, compliant, and cost-effective cloud solutions.
The Director Cloud Business Office will establish and lead a dedicated function within the CCOE focused on running Cloud as a Business, Financial Operations (FinOps), Governance, Compliance, Audit Response, Jurisdictional Compliance, Product Ownership, and Project Oversight.
FinOps will be inclusive of billing/invoicing, forecasting, charge-back, reporting, and optimization to effectively manage cloud spend across the enterprise. This role will interface directly with Finance, IT Risk, Cyber Security, and Communications.
A strict adherence to data-driven approaches, and a relentless bias towards automation and tooling will be required to sufficiently scale CBO functionality across the Northern Trust enterprise.
Working within the CCOE is to be at the cutting edge of cloud technology within the context of one of the world’s leading financial institutions, at a time when adoption of these technologies is increasing rapidly.
Northern Trust seeks individuals that are highly self-motivated, eager to learn, and are as effective working independently as they are working in a team environment. A strong aptitude towards self-development and growth is highly desired.
- Develop comprehensive cloud consumption and optimization reporting utilizing both native, and 3rd party systems to provide near real-time insights into spend performance and opportunities for improvement.
- Interface regularly with Cloud Service Providers and Business Unit Solutions teams to manage billing/invoicing, and to create/maintain spend forecasts.
- Interact with consumers and finance to provide guidance on charge-back activities, and to resolve disputes.
- Work directly with Core Platforms to develop an enterprise cloud optimization strategy for Northern’s public cloud environments.
- Work directly with Business Unit Solutions teams to provide insights into their cloud usage and costs; provide optimization recommendations based on both present and future planned cloud usage patterns.
- Execute on approved cost reduction initiatives including (but not limited to): right-sizing, asset disposition, establishing power down profiles, etc.
Compliance & Audit
- Drive Jurisdictional Compliance efforts for the Northern Trust’s public cloud expansion globally.
- Serve as the CCOE liaison into corporate functions including Finance, Risk, Audit, Communications, and Cyber Security.
- Lead the COE responses to internal auditors and external regulators (both domestic and global).
- Lead the evaluation of Control Standards and 3rd Party Well Architected Reviews; suggest architectural and engineering enhancements to strengthen policies, controls, and Northern’s public cloud security posture.
- Lead the Public Cloud Product Owner function, contributing to business outcomes and roadmap definitions, product visions, product backlogs, release coordination, and feature implementation.
- Provide strong stakeholder and client service by developing and sustaining excellent working relationships with business and application teams throughout Northern Trust. The ability to present and represent owned services to senior management is required.
- Support Cloud Community of Practice model to enable sharing of lessons learned, standards, and best practices among cloud stakeholders.
- Collaborate with Finance, Risk, Cyber Security, and Communications to ensure alignment between these Enterprise functions and CCOE processes, procedures, and execution.
- Be an active participant in CCOE leadership; collaborating, setting direction, and making decisions to turn Northern Trust into a “Public Cloud First” organization.
- Open mind with the ability to self-teach and an interest in learning new things.
- Strong experience communicating effectively to management at all levels.
- Knowledge of general computer science principles.
- Candidates must be highly motivated and capable of working independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- 5+ years of experience in managing IT budgets, developing forecasts, and billing/invoicing activities, highly disciplined in general financial management
- Strong attention to detail, strong organizational skills, strong communication and presentation skills, strong leadership skills.
- Ability to adapt to changing requirements and constraints
- Ability to use creative thinking and advanced problem-solving skills
- Experience managing a globally diverse team