Senior Systems Engineer II
Published: 18th June 2022
Closing Date: 18th July 2022
GEICO FinOps Engineering team is seeking a self-motivated and process-oriented Senior Associate to work with our business service partners as well as internal team to engineer FinOps products and services, refine flows and collaborate with EA, Platform Engineering and Business Service Engineering leaders to build FinOps cost maturity. Our goals are focused on financial operations in a transformative way to capitalize on savings opportunities, implement cost-cutting measures, and ensure our cloud spend measured up to our low-cost provider operating principle.
The position will be responsible for:
- Driving Engineering solutions in support of GEICO’s Cloud Cost Avoidance/Savings program initiatives
- Collaborating with Enterprise Architecture to design, provide oversight for engineering and deploy FinOps Products and Services for multi-cloud environment
- Spearheading industry best practices for cost-aware computing, setting policies and standards
- Creating and maintaining FinOps documentation.
The candidate will be working with other engineers, developers and analysts for cost-avoidance and new savings for GEICO. Candidate must be able to look beyond immediate assignments and participate in developing a strategic roadmap for FinOps Engineering, Analytics and Operations initiatives at GEICO. The role demands some project management skills, great interpersonal skills, and strong written and verbal communication skills. The candidate must be proficient in Azure, AWS, GCP etc. and must be able to do effective presentations.
Highly qualified candidates will have the following experience:
- Proven track record of on time delivery coupled with excellent proactive communication skills and ability to collaborate with others for delivery
- Passion for leading large engagements
- Managing multiple simultaneous projects
- Delivering with Agile and/or Kanban
- Influencing peers, stakeholders, and leaders to make the right decisions.
- Eliciting and documenting complex business and functional requirements from project stakeholders.
- Strong Cloud (Azure, AWS, IBM Cloud etc.) platform knowledge
- Demonstrated public cloud knowledge and 2+ years of experience (AWS, Azure, GCP):
- Deep passion for cloud technology and ability to articulate the cloud value proposition in both technical and financial aspects
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills in both technical and non-technical contexts
- 7+ years of professional experience with Technology Operations, Business Management, or Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A)
- Significant experience with cost optimization techniques
- Experience in building out a FinOps subject area
- Deep cost management knowledge including but not limited to chargeback modeling, cost savings and avoidance tracking, trending and variance analysis and forecasting
- Practical knowledge of native cloud provider cost management capabilities and pricing models
- Experience in cost anomaly detection, rightsizing, tagging and storage lifecycle policies, and automation
- Analytical skills to collect, coordinate and present sophisticated data to a variety of audiences
- Experience in developing KPI’s and scorecards based on internal and industry benchmarks
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills
Highly qualified candidates will have the following skills:
- Excellent solution development and engineering
- Strong software analysis, product management and/or engineering
- Data analysis, metrics development and reporting
- Strong knowledge of ADO, or other Agile management software
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Managing requirements traceability information and changes through effective change control processes and tools.
- Developing optimization and automation strategies of business processes.
- Effectively communicating critical information to stakeholders, including senior leadership.
Highly qualified candidates will be expected to:
- Create a cohesive strategy that will focus on increasing our savings while improving spend reporting, governance, and driving process improvement
- Ensure operational success of the GEICO’s cloud expansion strategy and empower our service leaders to make cost-aware engineering decisions
- Manage reservation purchases, effectively schedule upcoming renewals in sprints
- Manage FinOps stakeholder communications and define FinOps KPIs for IT executives, collaborate with IT Planning and Budgeting. Manage Cloud Account Tables etc.
- Work effectively across all levels within GEICO Tech
- Be expansive in their thinking and willing to effectively defend new ideas
- Be energized by a fast-paced results-oriented work environment
- Manage requirements traceability information and changes through effective change control processes and tools.
- Develop optimization and automation strategies of business processes.
- Effectively communicate critical information to stakeholders, including senior leadership.
- Company: Geico
- Type: Full-time
- Seniority: Mid-level Contributor
- FinOps Certifications Required: None