Shopify is one of the greatest engines for economic independence on the planet and our mission has never been more important to the world than it is right now. The world needs more Shopify. We have a massive opportunity and urgent obligation in front of us. It’s time to take action so we can focus on the most important thing: making commerce better for everyone.
Shopify’s Infrastructure Team is a team of 300+ engineers responsible for our global cloud infrastructure, networking, data infrastructure, observability, and resiliency. Teams include
Production Engineering, SRE, Data Platform, and Engineering Operations ensuring our merchants are able to sell, Shopify engineers can build amazing products and services, and
continue to scale to exceed the needs of our merchants 24x7x365.
The Engineering Operations (EngOps) Team provides embedded business support to the Infrastructure Team. In this role, you will lead the cloud cost program to establish financial
operations (FinOps) as a practice at Shopify. You will drive cross-team efforts to build the information, systems, and tooling to guide our development teams to scale our infrastructure
efficiently and sustainably.
How you will make an impact:
● Set the FinOps vision for RnD infrastructure teams
● Lead cross-functional teams (e.g. eng, data, finance) to create, align-on, and deliver against a cloud cost program roadmap, ensuring open communications with stakeholders.
● Drive efforts to navigate ambiguity by considering the financial, operational, and technological implications of complex decisions.
● Develop a deep understanding of our senior leadership goals and strategic priorities around cloud cost. Represent the team in interfacing with stakeholders across Shopify.
● Build reporting capabilities to monitor usage/costs, measure resource efficiency, optimize resource levels, and estimate forward-looking costs.
● Drive on-going feedback loops and optimization efforts with resource owners groups.
● Institutionalize FinOps learnings, codifying into best practices. Create a culture of using cost as a dimension of making technology investments.
● Design systems to manage the cloud resource lifecycle, including ownership tracking and maintenance cycles.
● Support forecasting, renewals, and negotiations for infrastructure contracts as needed
● Entrepreneurship mentality. Must be a self-starter, self-motivated, able to work independently, and possess strong team and time management skills to extract insights without all information/data readily available. You are passionate about Shopify’s mission of making commerce better for everyone.
● You are an excellent communicator who has an ability to successfully communicate with both technical and non-technical stakeholders. You have excellent spoken and written
communication skills that are necessary to thrive in a globally distributed team. You have experience executing and communicating details of large, complex, technical projects.
● Proven experience leading and executing complex, cross-functional cloud infrastructure programs. Strong problem solving and project management skills are a must.
● Consistent demonstration of leading through and exercising good judgment in ambiguous circumstances. Ability to navigate situations and teams to deliver impact in any situation.
● Strong background working in, and passion for, technology. You may have some programming experience, understand how software systems are built, and can quickly comprehend new technologies at a high-level.
● Demonstrated experience in analytics, including advanced proficiency in Excel and moderate knowledge of SQL.
● Tech/e-commerce company experience, ideally experience negotiating with vendors, partners, or clients.
● Strong data-informed storytelling and decision making.