Smarsh is looking for a technology manager to lead our Cloud FinOps function. The team aims to help optimize AWS and GCP cloud usage through engineering, automated tooling, observability, insight, and culture. As our Cloud FinOps Manager, you’ll run a small team and work on a wide range of projects.
How will you contribute?
- Design, build, and own systems and capabilities needed for cloud financial management and controls across globally distributed businesses and teams.
- Define mission and vision for the Cloud FinOps team, lead design and architecture discussions, advocate for best practices, participate in code reviews, and contribute to scaling the team.
- Implement a unified view of costs related to direct consumption and allocate shared costs across multiple public cloud providers and PaaS/SaaS vendors for visibility and accurate chargeback.
- Design, implement, and maintain a tagging strategy that goes beyond the resource level to the transaction layer of the platform.
- Control, forecast, and report on a multi-million-dollar operating Cloud expense.
- Run the FinOps team on a day-to-day basis. From escalation to prioritization to people management and development, you’ll be running the team.
- Track progress for both executive and engineer audiences, work with leaders to define appropriate KPIs.
- Own and advocate for usage of our suite of cost management tools.
- Responsible for Savings Plans, Committed Use Discounts, and RI purchasing, tracking, and optimization.
- Develop a budgeting and forecast modules for Cloud spend to be used Smarsh-wide.
- Embed best practices, FinOps culture and, change throughout the organization, becoming the ultimate force multiplier.
What will you bring?
- Experience of FinOps or Cloud Financial Management.
- Driving and embedding culture around cost.
- Experience with the Cloud; AWS required, nice to have GCP and Azure.
- Good understanding of product development, devops and ops/infrastructure environments.
- Analytical approach; be able to get into the data yourself as well as use it to influence leadership and engineers.
- Experience (implementation, ongoing support, improvement) of Cloud ‘cost management’ tools e.g. Cost Explorer, Cloudability, CloudHealth, Cloud Custodian.
- Experience with application observability tools e.g. Prometheus, DataDog, HoneyComb, etc.
- Experience building dashboard for both engineers and other business functions.
- Department level planning: owning planning of projects, breaking them down into deliverable chunks, identifying and managing dependencies.
- People Management; leading a team, supporting career development.
What do we offer?
- Healthcare insurance – We provide medical, dental, and vision insurance and a flexible spending account that allows you to set aside pre-tax dollars to pay for eligible out-of-pocket expenses.
- Personal time off – A healthy work-life balance is critical to your success at the office. Smarsh offers a “take-what-you-need” time off policy as well as flexible work arrangements
- Pension match – Smarsh provides a 4% Pension match for which employees are fully vested on day one.
- Sabbatical – The Smarsh sabbatical program provides a time to recharge, to study or simply a time to do something you are passionate about away from the workplace. Employees are eligible after six years of service.
- Recognition – We’re big on kudos for a job well done. Our employee-recognition program enables co-workers to nominate their peers who best embody our core values for recognition.
$160,000 – $180,000 a year
The salary for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, location, specialty, and training. Local cost of living assessments are done for each new hire at the time of offer.
Smarsh is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Smarsh invites all qualified and interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions, including the frequency of functions.