Assistant Manager – Cloud FinOps
Published: 3rd May 2023
Closing Date: 28th May 2023
Business Context and Main Purpose of the Role
Cloud is a critical enabler of Unilever’s digital future. It not only changes how we store and access data but, will also fundamentally improve how our business operates. Cloud enables innovation and cost effective delivery at scale and pace by removing barriers and providing foundations for digital business transformation.
The Cloud Platform Services (CPS) team, part of the UniOps function, has a vision to accelerate cloud adoption and drive a future fit model for innovation and growth across Unilever. As part of this team, you will be working with our customers and Cloud technology partners like Microsoft and Google to ensure effective financial reporting and control mechanisms are in place to deliver the necessary financial accountability for cloud spend and facilitate timely informed financial decision making across a portfolio of global IT services and programmes. You will have responsibility for ensuring that our customers have the data and knowledge necessary to manage all financial aspects of cloud services delivery through the adoption of FinOps practices and culture. The FinOps Analyst is responsible for providing detailed data analysis of Unilever cloud consumption across all CSP’s, identifying consumption trends, optimisation opportunities and in collaboration with BRM’s and other teams creating custom reports and dashboards to be delivered to internal stakeholders. Main Accountabilities
- Perform daily data analysis of cloud consumption costs across all CSP’s, including but not limited to Compute, Storage, Database, Backups, Logs and serverless technology in GCP and Azure.
- Support the BRM’s and Service Owners in providing customised reporting and dashboards to internal stakeholders to provide a view on actual costs vs budget and the drivers of the spend and peaks in usage.
- Working with BRM’s and other teams to identify cost optimisation opportunities and inform the business platforms and service owners. This will include but not limited to scheduling, rightsizing, reservations, savings plans, wastage removal and technology upgrades.
- Working with other Cloud FinOps team members to provide cost forecasting across the cloud estate considering proposed/planned changes, new workloads planned to be cloud hosted in the future and comparing Cloud costs across Azure and GCP.
- Support the Cloud Economics Lead and the rest of the team with reporting against enterprise level commitments vs consumption and future consumption across agreements such as Microsoft EA.Help identify software renewals or new software procurement that could use a cloud-based market place to achieve a lower price point for the business and assist burn down enterprise level commitments.
- Report on tagging compliance across all CSP’s to internal stakeholders, in particular the BRM’s and Business Platform Service Owners.
- Collaborate with the engineering teams on the policies and guardrails to ensure business is empowered to achieve its objectives with appropriate governance in place to maintain enterprise standards. Key Skills and Relevant
- 3+ years of experience with one/more public/private cloud platforms (e.g. AWS, Azure, GCP, etc.).
- 2+ years experience with capacity forecasting, cloud cost optimization techniques, financial reporting, and workflow management in a large service operations environment. Familiarity with monitoring and reporting tools/APIs.
- Excellent understanding of cloud providers, platforms and configurations and familiarity with workload usage/consumption patterns on cloud.
- Understanding of billing processes and financial data for cloud platforms and strong experience with cloud cost optimization tools and/or 3rd party cost optimization solutions.
- Ability to liaise with multiple stakeholders (across IT, finance, business functions) and proactively identify opportunities for service improvement.
- Ability to operate independently to drive the business forward. Does not wait to be told/shown what needs to be done. Continue to drive things through to completion. Minimum qualifications:
- FinOps Certified Practitioner
- GCP – Foundational Google Digital Leader
- Azure – AZ-900: Microsoft Azure Fundamentals
- Any appropriate financial qualifications BEHAVIOURS Candidates would be required to show demonstration of the following behaviours:
- Accountability and Ownership – Strive for high quality and success, empower yourself and others to make decisions.
- Be bold – Challenge the status quo, be bold & passionate about cloud, think outside of the box and be willing to improve.
- Customer First – Thinking about our customers constantly by providing them with the best tools, services and end user experiences.
- Collaboration – Working in an openly creative culture, where all ideas are acknowledged encouraging innovation and transparency.
- Company: Unilever
- Type: Full-time
- Seniority: Mid-level Contributor
- FinOps Certifications Required: Certified Practitioner