About the role
The FinOps Analyst is a mid-level role, reporting to the DevOps Director and is responsible for establishing financial policies, reporting, forecasting, optimisation and corporate governance for Zellis Cloud spend in Microsoft Azure across both our corporate and customer estates.
Working within the Customer IT Team alongside colleagues from Enterprise Architecture, Corporate IT, Software Engineering, Compliance, Information Security and various Product teams, you will drive financial accountability across our Cloud spend through high quality FinOps practices.
The role will interact with key stakeholders across the business and will drive the accountability for Cloud cost efficiency across the organisation.
Key responsibilities include:
- Working directly with our technical teams, finance and business management teams across the organisation.
- Driving optimisation through discovery, development and sharing of cost-saving opportunities.
- Translating financial insights into actionable recommendations, promoting cost-aware architecture design, and leveraging code to automate resource optimisation.
- Integrating Cloud cost optimisation tools, creating reusable design patterns and code modules to support optimisation and Cloud Finance Management (CFM) policies at the enterprise level.
- Supporting the Cloud monthly budget and forecasting process in managing consumption, chargebacks, show back and savings in collaboration with accounting, finance and technical owners.
- Supporting stakeholders in understanding their Cloud spend based on their business roadmap and budgeted forecast.
- Interacting with key stakeholders across the business and driving the accountability for Cloud cost efficiency across the organisation.
- Monitoring Cloud consumption at the account level to detect, investigate and escalate anomalies and unplanned spikes.
- Analysing, reporting and producing meaningful insights from large raw datasets within Cloud billing and usage tools.
- Designing, developing and maintaining reports and KPIs that provide detailed usage statistics of resources across the Zellis Cloud landscape.
- Seeking opportunities to apply automation to any tasks performed manually, following through to implementation.
- Ensuring a fully documented and repeatable process is in place to support our Cloud spend.
Skills and experience required
- Minimum of two years relevant experience in Cloud FinOps/Cloud spend optimisation.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, Finance, IT or analytics.
- Additional professional experience – Financial Analyst and/or Business Analyst background preferred.
- Knowledge of Cloud cost products (e.g. Cost Explorer, Azure Portal).
- Strong understanding of public Cloud players (e.g. AWS, Azure), their product portfolio and commercial models (Azure preferred).
- Prior experience building custom reports with PowerBI.
- General understanding of broad IT strategy and sourcing space and working market knowledge (e.g. key vendors, services and technology trends).
- Ability to work directly with technical teams, finance and business management teams across the organisation, including key stakeholders at a senior level.
- FinOps certification preferred.
- Good understanding of the principles of DevOps and Cloud Ops.
- Experience of working in environments subject to regulatory compliance and Information Security standards (e.g. SOC, ISO27001 and Cyber Essentials).
- Strong planning and organisational skills, including the ability to manage several workstreams simultaneously, whilst balancing business priorities and quality.
- A clear, concise communicator – both written and verbal – including to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- An understanding of the sourcing of public Cloud services, including Cloud sourcing strategy planning, strategic supplier selection, contracting and commercial negotiations.